- The 2018 Election of AGEM Officers took place at the January meeting. The officers voted in for a term of one year are Vice President David Lucchese, Everi; Vice President Luke Orchard, IGT; Vice President Robert Parente, Scientific Games; Secretary Mark Dunn, Aristocrat; Treasurer Tom Jingoli, Konami Gaming; and General Counsel Daron Dorsey, Ainsworth. President Tom Nieman is starting the second year of his two-year appointment, and was not part of the slate.
- Greg Saint, event director of the ICE Totally Gaming show, gave a short presentation to members, outlining pre-event details. This year’s show sees a total of 509 exhibitors, of which 108 are new to the show. Pre-event registration is going well, and has shown a year-on-year increase of 8 percent at this point. He also informed the group of the new location of ICE VOX, which will be housed in the Platinum Suite of ExCeL, keeping the conference program under one roof and making it easier for visitors, speakers and exhibitors alike.
- AGEM members approved to support the forthcoming Canadian Gaming Summit being held June 18-20, with a contribution of US$15,000. The Canadian Gaming Association is currently undergoing changes, and as part of this, the final show format of this important industry event is under discussion.
- The Japan Gaming Congress will take place May 10-11 in Tokyo. In light of the proposed changes to gaming legislation in Japan, the Congress will offer an educational forum to all industry stakeholders as well as assist in bringing international operators and suppliers together with Japanese counterparts. AGEM members approved to support the event with a sponsorship of $10,000.
- Two new companies were voted in recently and welcomed as Associate members. Comtrade Gaming, based in Slovenia, is a high-end software and technology supplier for the land-based and online sectors; and Rising Digital Corporation, based in Las Vegas, is a gaming content supplier.
- AGEM will have a booth at the forthcoming ICE Totally Gaming show in London February 6-8. The booth is located in the North Hall at N1-348, and will welcome all potential new and existing members.
- The International Casino Conference (ICC), which is hosted by the European Casino Association and is sponsored by AGEM, will be held on Monday, February 5 as part of ICE VOX. Connie Jones, director of responsible gaming, will be attending and representing AGEM.
The AGEM Index experienced significant gains for the fourth month in a row during December 2017. The composite index closed the month at 516.79 points, a gain of 24.14 points, or 4.9 percent, when compared to November 2017. The AGEM Index reported a year-over-year increase for the 27th consecutive month and has climbed 208.64 points, or 67.71 percent, since November 2016. During the latest period, seven of the 12 global gaming equipment manufacturers reported month-to-month increases in stock price. Five manufacturers reported decreases in stock price during the month, with all manufacturers posting single-digit increases and declines. The three broader stock market indexes produced positive results in December. The S&P 500 reported a month-to-month increase of 0.98 percent to 2,673.61. The Dow Jones Industrial Average increased 1.84 percent to 24,719.22, while the NASDAQ increased 0.43 percent during the period to 6,903.39.